Monday 4 May 2020

Day 38- Just Say No

I sit myself at the table to mark. I've got behind with Zoom meets and general admin demands of online teaching. It's more time consuming to give feedback to students, especially the Level 3's who need more teacher input.
Early afternoon I drive to College Ave to fill more nail holes. I ran out of filler during the lock down. Lance has plenty. I'm not so good at the overhead holes in the verandah ceiling. Crap actually and after four hours haven't made that much progress. But I have a useful chat with Lance who's working while air temperatures are warm enough, regarding shades of colour for the skirting, architraves, ceiling and walls. Experts are mines of information. Not for me an interior decorator. I'm too independent and it's money I don't have the luxury of wasting. A friend, Paul, is biking by and stops to have a look. I've noticed onlookers, especially locals. Their interest is reassuring.
I drive to Brighton with bananas for Amana. She's super chatty. I hear the soothing shoosh and susurration of the waves from her back door. And smell mushroom damp from the floor and walls of her house. She reads me her lock down poetry and talks of her battle with EQC and insurance to resolve earthquake damage. I listen sympathetically and offer my strategy for getting over the line. Keep saying no. While you are on their books they have to come up with a solution. Saying no is our greatest power.
Covid- 6 new confirmed and probable cases, one more death from the Rosewood Rest Home, a man in his 80's.
































No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...