Saturday 28 March 2020

Day 2- Exponential Growth


New Zealand's lockdown is reassuring but looking at the graph the Corona potential is scary. We have 83 new cases today, a total of 451 and 12 in hospital, one in ICU.
I message Kahu, expecting him to be in the air. He's not and frustrated. He'd said goodbyes, got to Little Rock then discovered the flight from LAX was delayed several days. So he's back in El Dorado helping tidy up the back yard. The longer it takes to get him out, the less likely he will get out.
I venture out to do work at the house and stop on the way at Merivale Mall to get some supplies. An ex Pap High/CBHS student, Max is standing at the door. He's there to prevent more one person from each bubble going in at a time. In face there are very few people and we keep our distance. I'm in and out quickly. The mall and car park are eerily quiet. Those I do see are focused. We look at each other but it's a checking out glance; social gestures like hi's or smiles omitted. At College Ave I talk to Grant over the fence. He's flying out to San Fransisco with Air New Zealand tonight and tells me flights are drying up. I fill nail holes and pull a few weeds.
There's still ambiguity about swimming so I take a dip. Everyone on the beach for a walk is keeping a good distance. I drop in on Amana, who's in the over 70 group, to make sure she's ok.


An unwanted social isolation companion, white tail spider

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...