Sunday 29 March 2020

Day 3- Settling In

The UK has recorded the largest single-day increase in coronavirus deaths, taking the total to 1019. The number of fatalities has increased by 34%, the highest since 18th March when it rose by 46%. I call my cousin, Tony, in Suffolk. He and partner, Sally, are on the couch counting days, getting bored, but seeing the up side of more time together and a slower pace of life.
I catch up on two jobs I have put off for ages: tidying up my toe nails and checking the oil in my car. I'm in touch with tree stump Tom who's keen to get going on the iron work for the verandah. He's got innovative ideas using digital technology.
I park my car in front of the house at 22 and lock the gate. It's quiet with the odd family or couple taking exercise and the sound of kids playing, but that's all. Almost no cars.
I listen to the radio. Spain is ordering non-essential workers to stay at home for two weeks. Their single-day death toll reaches a new high of 832. In New Zealand there are 83 new Covid cases, made up of 78 new and five probable cases. The total is 451, most with links to overseas travel. Two are in intensive care. There is discussion about what we can and can't do. Official messages have been mixed, but there has been consistency and clarity on two metre social distancing.
I fill in nail holes. I've done so many I'm getting rsi. At the beach there's a seal. As she swims past she looks back at me, worried I'll get too close. I watch her, wondering if she bites. It's a mutual standoff, both looking over our shoulders. making eye contact.





Improvised funnel #1- Milk bottle


Improvised funnel #2- Tonic bottle






The garden task ahead










No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...