Thursday 26 March 2020

Isolation Day 1




The news is 78 new cases in New Zealand, taking the total to 283 by day's end. I think of Anne Frank. Survival isolation with little food, staying still and quiet while workers worked below in the spice factory, the fear of informers, and deportation to a concentration camp. In spite of everything Anne learned courage, hope and renewed faith in humanity. An inspiration 80 years on. We can do this, people.
One of my isolation goals is to finish War and Peace, started in January. Reading in bed before getting up is something I enjoy. As a child I used to wake up before everyone else and would read in bed in winter or go out to the front porch to sit in the sun in summer.
I check with Kahu. He hasn't got his ticket back to New Zealand yet. I ring AFS NZ. John's frustrated and will follow it up.
Late morning, I'm reluctant to get in the car to go to College Ave. Unsure of the new lock down rules which have some ambiguity, although the intention is clear. Social isolation. My goal: stay in my bubble and pass time usefully...there's hundreds of nail holes to fill and lots of weeds at my place.
It's sunny and there are a surprising number of people about. Walking in family groups, in pairs and with dogs, or biking. No police road blocks, no army, like there was after the earthquakes. And no police helicopter like there has been for the past few weeks. I drive slowly and relax as I get closer.
I shut the gate, securing the padlock. Clear message. I get to work with Platinum Patch. Since I'm not good at it, I go over nail holes twice. The radio broadcasts the mosque shooter's plea. To everyone's great surprise and relief, guilty.
On the ladder I spot my neighbours, the Goodlands, and chat over the fence. Grant is still flying Air New Zealand jets once a week in and out of San Fransisco. I have a video chat with Kahu, Tom and Tammy in Arkansas. They're getting ready for final goodbyes. Kahu is to fly out tonight.
Late afternoon I get back in my bubble and go to North Beach. Swimming is allowed but as the water is too cold for casual swimming, I'm the only one in. Small groups with everyone keeping their distance. Safe we're told.
Kahu calls for advice while packing. Funny. Today is the new normal for at least four weeks.
We are learning to slow down, practice patience and change social habits. This is going to be interesting.

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...