Monday 24 February 2020

A Hectic Start to the Week

English office, PHS


I text Kirk early to start the ball rolling with the hall skylight. I duck out of school for an on site meeting during form time and interval. There's a flurry of phone calls against a soundscape of buzzing saws and pounding hammers. Kay, the aluminium framer, Kirk and I. No...you can't reduce the glass size of the lead lights. No, no, no. Questions, instructions, negotiations. Saws screeching, hammers pounding. By the time I rush back to school I'm hopeful people know what I'm aiming for. And where. I point to the overhead ceiling space. Kirk says he'll sort it. He'll have to replace a sheet of roofing iron though. 
I drive into the car park. No kids. So interval's over. Upstairs my Year 10 class are sitting in the classroom waiting quietly with the lights off. Angels or maybe they're trying to fly under the radar too. I am genuinely surprised and heap on the praise, stoked with their self-management. 
Back at College Ave, the boys are continuing with the verandah ceiling, and other stuff. It's a happening scene. I thank the neighbour for putting out food for Pierre. I suspect he's no longer around though and can only keep my fingers crossed he comes back when we do. 
Last engagement of the day, UC Music Dept Songs of Politics, Protest and Power. Naomi the nightingale and book group organiser extraordinaire is first up. Uplifting.

Kitchen window space















College Ave neighbours

Lead lights from the living room of the old house








Organising main bathroom lead lights


Nightingale Naomi





No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...