Wednesday 25 August 2021

What Next

We part timers meet during lunch. Our break is so short we barely get meetings started before the bell ends them. I've asked for the meet up to help prepare a presentation at the next PPTA conference on the 'success' of our branch in getting some paid non-contact time. The school is given funding but, because of  an 'endeavour' clause which dates back to 2002, they can choose to say they tried. At our kura part timers started a push in 2015; we got our first payment in 2016. Not full pro rata but a start. Five years later it feels like we need to go further. Checking in, we all feel the same: we need to be paid fairly.

First Friday of the month is Eat My Shorts at 12 Bar- dinner at Robyn's and a party after. I'm home just before Kahu at the end of his night shift. On Saturday I pick up plants I've bought on Marketplace. The year is getting on and it's time to start spring planting. I've just finished the lettuces I planted late summer. They made it through frost and winter storms but now they've had it. I don't owe them anything. The woman I buy from has a backyard of seedlings, edibles I've never heard of...it's time to widen my horizons. 

Judith, Karen and I travel out to Sumner together for Patsy's 65th birthday. We've known each other for 20 odd years, starting in our 40's. Hard to think that time has gone and Patsy is retiring. Lucky her. I'll be working till I'm 70. If I can make it. So we're relaxed, jovial and easily slip into gossip over bubbles. Patsy has partial hearing and her daughter, Nirvana and Nirvana's partner don't hear much at all. Patsy and Nirvana end up having a fight but a quiet one. It's all in the body language and gesture. Most of it goes over my head but the concept is amusing- a silent argument. 

On Sunday, Kahu and I visit the nieces, all growing. I buy a Van Gough NFT. Another interesting concept. Don't think I'll become a millionaire overnight. They're a virtual gamble where sums of money are exchanging hands between people who make money through Bitcoin and other virtual forms of speculation. We live in a weird world. 

On Monday there's snow. Not enough to settle and not enough this time for kids to stay home. Spring snow. I take money to Shanna to get Kahu's curtains started. About time. Robyn's is exhibiting as part of a shared exhibition. 

The rest of the week goes. On Thursday I visit Anjie's attic trying to find dress ups for the lip sync. I'm Ariana Grande in the staff item. Not sure why I volunteered but I can't back out now.




































                                                    Odd, out of place, and about to fall over



                                                                 Robyn and her work








No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...