Sunday 26 July 2020

Equal Pay is Legalised

In the morning news, the passing of the Equal Pay Amendment Bill by Parliament is announced. The PPTA currently is fighting a court case, nearly four years and over one million dollars, to get part timers' paid non-contact in proportion to our full time counterparts. This piece of legislation owes much to the fight of Kristine Bartlett, an aged care worker who argued that the low pay she was receiving was because her work as a carer was largely performed by women. Our argument with the Ministry of Education is that since most part time teachers are women ours is a pay equity case. This legislation will provide a clearer pathway and it would be nice to think that we will finally be remunerated on an equal pay scale with our full time colleagues.
Tonight is the formal so Years 12 and 13 are dismissed at midday. I use my free, non paid, periods to catch up on marking. And buy some food as I've volunteered to host pre-ball drinks at Chris's. It was a late offer so there will only be 5 of us. Nevertheless I need to put on a spread. 
The boys are nearly finished the verandah. It's a purple standout. Kahu asks if it's going to stay this colour. Bless. I think I've got more colour sense but he's obviously unsure. Lance is hard at work inside and I stay at the door because the fumes would knock over an elephant.
Kahu gets the vacuum out and generally helps get the house ready. He's quiet about not going to the ball and so am I. It's at Wigram, a cavernous airplane hangar, operational during WWII, and now a museum. The kids rattle round in the space and there's plenty of room for throwing limbs around on the dance floor. There's some solo efforts which provoke lots of cheering. An all round good vibe and I take pics with my Year 13's, a fabulous group of 14 girls who I'm getting to know and love. "No child left behind." (Hunt for the Wilderpeople)








































No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...