Wednesday 29 July 2020

100% New Zealand Owned

We talk about Covid in the car on the way to school. Yesterday the global total reached 16 million, that's double 6 weeks ago. We're so removed from the drama here in Aotearoa, having had no community transmission for over 80 days. And we're watching from a distance, seemingly uninvolved. While Kahu and I make dinner in the kitchen each night we watch the Beeb and get an update on Europe. I tune in to CNN briefly before bed to check on the ridiculousness of the USA. Don't think we can blame it all on Trump but, to quote Julius on Remember the Titans, "Attitude reflects leadership, captain." Covid has recently been spotted in North Korea but I doubt we'll know their story for some time.
Today's fairly normal. School then house. Lance is painting flat out, Pete and team are busy on the laundry, and Kahu and I run around checking up and ticking off jobs. I drop in to Radcliffs to order one each of the light switch and the socket I'm considering. At the door I bump into another ex-student. I was talking about him at the ball the other night cos the best music we ever had was a live band which Sam and his dad played in. They played covers but the live element got everyone up. So Sam remembered he hadn't done anything in Form 5, School Cert, this is under the old system, in the late 90's, then was in my class the next year repeating. And, according to him, did nothing and spent the year at the back of the room talking to his mate. Sam's in his 30's now and a sparky, just getting another band started. It's a laugh catching up. Never burn your bridges...my motto since teaching in Christchurch. Your past always comes back to haunt you.
 


























No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...