Thursday 7 May 2020

Day 42- Power Failure



I stop in on the way to school to sort out the length of the architrave lengths for my order. Jamie gets out the tape measure and is reassuringly helpful. I know exactly what I need. In a bit of a hurry to leave, I turn the key of the car to no avail. Flat battery. My neighbour Steve rescues me again. At school my phone dies. Zero charge. Another power fail.
I get on with work and discover I'm late for a Year 10 Zoom call. I've been looking at the wrong page of my planner but we get together in the end. Well, half of us. A couple of students e-mail to tell me they're helping their parents. Life goes on. Thank God for that. I chat to my other Year 10 class. Largely silent but the engaged kids are still working. Solid.
I feel like I'm more under control when I leave the premises. Finally. Book group zoom reveals personal book favourites as kids. Mine are all packed up but I have a shelf full in boxes. Children's books these days are so diverse and child centred, and cheaper. What's available now will feed kids' imaginations in a way post war books never could.
Covid today- two new cases, one confirmed, one probable, one more death from the Rosewood home. In her 60's, this woman is at the younger demographic of fatalities. As well, Microsoft wants to establish a data centre here. Our new Covid free space is a draw card for all sorts. Even Australia is cozying up to us and they can't send people with a criminal record who were born in New Zealand but raised in Australia, back on the pretext they are our responsibility. How times change.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...