Tuesday 24 March 2020

Getting Ready

There's snow on the Alps. Feels like the weather is matching the dreary prospect of social isolation for a month. Like many others, I am wondering how I am going to get through the static, quiet in front of me. One upside is space on the roads; I drive to work enjoying the freedom of less traffic.
We have staff briefing in the hall, presumably because it's bigger and we can space ourselves. A day ago we were squeezing up and down crowded stairways into B block, sitting elbow to elbow in the staff room and teaching in classrooms with 30 kids. Life changes in a heart beat.
Management send a stream of instructions for setting lessons on virtual classrooms, and sorting out students who don't have internet access. As well as providing paper resources or computers to kids who need them. It's a big task which requires finding resources and knowing how to use digital platforms. Thank goodness for millenial colleagues for whom those are go to's. I still use paper reourses which kids are not allowed to write on. These days they get it.
In between I'm checking with AFS NZ. Today they seem to think they can get Kahu home via LAX. So I let him know return is back on the cards. I feel distinctly anxious about the US lack of covid response. Trump is saying people will be back at work after Easter. I'm sure Kahu will be safer here especially with our lock down.
I put the brakes on house build items. It's like stopping the Titanic. The leadlight windows which were finally going in tomorrow won't be and I can't even get a hold of anyone at NK to talk to. They send me a bill for the new kitchen window then an e-mail to say they are halting all jobs from today. I call Kay who is rushing round trying to get her glass ready. Sigh. Tomorrow's meeting with Pete, the plasterer, won't go ahead either. Neither will the meeting with Gary, the plumber, and Ian, the tiler. I call Lance who is going to paint the outside walls. Maybe.
Meanwhile staff have brought in lemons and grapes and I stock up on library books.
I leave school at the usual Tuesday time with a headache. On site I fill nail holes. And turn RNZ on. The commentary is dreary. Serious with questions from people who want to continue life as nearly normal. If that involves others, the message is they can't. Lots of discussion on travel and getting home. That's on my mind too.
It's grey and cold but I keep going till after 6pm. The beach takes me to the start of Polanski's Macbeth where the witches meet...cut to brutal scenes of a medieval battle where people club each other to death with spiky metal objects. I'm feeling apocalyptic.
The swim revives me. After 22 years of swimming till the end of the first term, my brain is used to cold. I drop in on Nicki for a farewell cuppa. At home Chris is keen for a glass of wine. I'm grateful to have a convivial place to wait out four weeks of lock down.
Or longer.


























Late swim on a cold day



No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...