Sunday 8 December 2019

Tempestuous Weather

Flatmates inevitably become family. In my new home, Sherry and I write Christmas cards. Chris comments that the advantages of having the two of us flatting with him outweigh the disadvantages. We know each other so well that comment gets taken in the spirit it's given. I've flatted with Chris before- West Hampstead, 1993-1996. Christmas card giving is a long established habit, something I watched my Mum do for years. For her it enabled her to stay in touch with friends she'd made travelling overseas in the 1950's. Cards make the house festive too. Seems like they're a dying custom, though, with postal prices leaving a hole in the pocket- stamps cost $3 plus to Europe and America, and $1.20 within New Zealand.
Weather wise it's been somewhat unusual this spring/ summer. On the east coast we're having steady nor westers while further south it's flooding as the rain in the mountains inundates rivers. There are slips, and floodwaters close key roads cutting the South Island in half. At the beach, a brown band of river water keeps temperatures fresh and the cold bites my ankles as I wade out. A life guard points out clumps of grass which have washed down the Waimakariri and cast up at North Beach.
I dry off and go to 22 College Ave to do some digging then head out to one of my electrician's, Luke's, 30th. It's in a historic stone-walled shed originally used to service a quarry in the Port Hills. The shed survived but Greg's house didn't. Another rebuild.





Greg's rebuild

Sound and Light Sparkys: Rene and Luke



No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...