Thursday 28 July 2022

Endings and Beginnings

Photos back to front.

I go to The Orchard Part 2, a Matariki event, showcasing young performers on Friday night to see my mate Marcus Vanilau. It's gentle, soothing and beautiful. The young people are talented and blow the audience away. Talking to Mark afterwards, one is his daughter, so good at piano and vocals. Again the audience is small but it doesn't bother those on stage. I move the car and join my colleagues for food and a night solving puzzles, two teams competing. Ours has an Antarctic theme and we're in there for over an hour trying to step through the clues. Harder than I thought.

Saturday, Kahu's Shirley team win their rugby. They're playing like a team and no-one gets hurt. A Kapa Haka gig on Sunday to mark the appearance of Matariki and the coldest, darkest time of the year. It's getting close to the end of term as well. We're all tired and students are rostered home as we deal with too many staff absences and too few relievers to cover. I am asked to stand down from a health and safety course. I finish my fourth set of junior reports, form teacher comments. The feeling of freedom is immense, the last two weeks have been like climbing Mount Everest. 

Bertie finishes pruning the plumb tree which leaves a mountain of sticks, twigs and branches to chop and fit in College Ave's green bins. A few night sessions worth. I see a Matariki performance tailored for deaf people which starts with ten minutes silence. Takes me till the end of the performance to work out the non-hearing focus. And another with 3 women, one of whom is Nicole, my friend the talented cellest. Such a deep reverberating resonance. 

Nearly there. I'm tired. Earlier nights than usual while I recover from Covid.





































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...