Wednesday 1 June 2022

Back to 'Normality'

I get back to Christchurch and decide to keep swimming. The water is cold but not freezing, the weather is settled. The earth is cooling and the days are shortening. I wonder how long I can push this out. In the meantime I'll keep getting in the water. It's been 5 months of daily swimming. Part of my daily routine and something people remember me by. In fact, becoming legend, a number think I go swimming all year. Not that silly, frankly.

I don't realise but my brain starts to fog up. It's not till my leg starts to radiate heat that I get my bike wound is infected. It's increasingly hard to stand at school and I go home early from Robyn's memorial and Daryl's birthday. That night, I get out of bed and search for leftover anitbiotics in my medicine box. I find some penecillin Kahu was prescribed for his strep throat so I down one. Talking round the lunch table at school, I'm persuaded to consult a professional so go to a pharmacy. They frown at the penecillin and sell me some crystaderm. I also go to the Merival hand clinic for my finger. A quick look and I'm told it's broken. They mould a hard plastic sheath over it and send me to Leinster Rd, St George's for an x-ray. The radiographer shows me the break then consults with the radiologist who says I need a full finger cast. I refuse but he talks me into ringing the hand clinic for advice. Sensibly, my consultant there recognises the over-reaction and tells me what she's done is fine. I was getting psyched up to wait hours at A and E so I'm very grateful. My finger feels better already. I would have done this sooner but Easter followed by school holidays, on top of leaving town and a wait for an appointment adds up to self-care.

I'm still in brain fog and go to the Art Gallery for a music event which isn't on for 3 weeks so I mull around the exhibitions grateful for the space and creativity of art. Feels like spiritual succour. 

Now that I've sorted out my body I have head space to get onto other jobs, chief of which is storage. So I go to see Pete and talk through the bay window bench seat and a garage shelf. One thing at a time is how he works...works better for me too.

Meanwhile Jorge stains the verandah and I make my annual batch of feijoa gin. A key change at school, masks are mandatory. So I take mine off and immediately feel freer. Freer to speak, to hear, to breathe, to catch Covid.

Pictures back to front chronologically. 






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...