Friday 25 February 2022

Teaching in Covid

I get to the end of the second school week and am ready to get out of town. It's Waitangi weekend but it's Covid so people are scaling down their parties. Tru and Pete always have one at Scargill Domain in Greta Valley. There's a small Convergence gathering at Akaroa. I opt for live music and throw tent and overnight gear in the car on Fri then drive. Mask free. It's wet and mizzly at Scargill so I pitch the tent while I still have the mojo. Then take my food indoors. There's only Tru, Pete, Margot, Steve and one other. We share food and Amana rocks up. We start talking about people no longer with us and the ladies door opens. Hmm, I've seen this before. Amana gets a shiver up her arm. I know they're with us. There've been so many people involved with this festival over the years. Some have passed on. Tonight there are 7. 

I read in bed listening to the rain on the tent wondering about Covid raining on peoples' lives. And spreading at last through Aotearoa, though not down here yet. Not really. I wind down the beach road to Motunau. There's a muddy river outlet with lots of big birds and it takes a while to find the beach. I walk down a track in the still of misty rain then submerge in welcoming sea water. A beautiful spot tucked under cliffs. I gaze up and Te Rauparaha comes to mind, bloody butcher from Kapiti. I feel him and his warriors at this beach on their murderous rampage to subdue tribes they have no reason to hate. Utu. 

When I return breakfast is served....classic English. I decide to stay another night. We're a party of 30, drinking, smoking, celebrating life. How wonderful it is. The music is live, varied and good. I stumble to bed when I'm ready. Next morning I leave before anyone is up. I swim at Leithfield where a dead body washed up last week. The waves crash close onshore; it's an endurance test to stay standing. I won't be coming back to this beach. I tidy up in a hurry, I've got guests. We potluck and catch up, discussing inventing a Waitangi dessert. Iconic...I'll give it some thought. NZ needs one.

I visit Suzannah to get some peaches. They're pouring off the trees and juicily amazing. Momentous event of the week, we move Kahu's dresser...thank God for Bertie who can tie things on trailers. 






















8 Feb 2022

Anti-vaccine mandate protest convoy arrives at Parliament

4:18 pm on 8 February 2022 

Hundreds of protesters against Covid-19 vaccine mandates who have travelled to Parliament in a vehicle convoy will not be able to stay on the grounds overnight.

A large crowd of protesters have congregated on the lawn of Parliament since this morning.

Two convoys, made up of hundreds of cars, trucks, campervans and other vehicles, had been travelling from across the country since Sunday.

RNZ understands some protesters want to remain on the grounds until tomorrow.

However, it is against Parliament's rules to have structures or protests on the grounds overnight.

Vehicles blocked one street next to Parliament grounds, and some parked on footpaths near Parliament. Protesters diverted some local traffic that got stuck.

Molesworth Street was completely inaccessible and traffic was heavy on the north side of Lambton Quay.

Protesters carrying flags and signs saying their rights were being breached began to gather early today, and a crowd had grown hundreds by late morning.

Music was being played on loud speakers and gazebos and water tents set up as crowds settled onto Parliament grounds.

They are demanding an end to all mandates and Covid-19 restrictions, and what they see is media censorship of their views.

Locals were advised to avoid the area.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...