Friday 29 October 2021

Back to the Classroom

The last lights go up, but not without a fight. Rene has to push, pull, fiddle and swear to fit the kitchen island drops. I give him books and magazines to stand on cos he's stretching. Kahu meanwhile is studying or pretending to. Sharyn and Gil arrive to work on doorways so there's a bustle up and down the hall. The Arctic light in my room is heavy and we call on Kahu to use his long arms and biceps to get it up. If it falls down in the night it will crush my legs. But it looks stunning, the lattice talking to the branches of the William Morris Bird and Pomegranate. Rene straightens Kahu's light and we change the flickering bulbs and he straightens the entry light in my room. Looks like we've crossed this job off at last. Well, except for the deco fitting in Wellington at Lynley's which is going in my walk in. 

Saturday is Twig's 70's birthday party. In the context of Covid it feels a bit naughty but we're dancing and celebrating carefree while we're virus free. Who knows how long that will last? The scabies treatment seems to be working but that parasite has got a long tail and I'm spot dosing itches still. 

I drive out to Birdling's Flat on Sunday to visit Corinne who is cousin Jane and Geoff's neighbour. It's ages since I've been out of the city and away from buildings and tar seal. It's nice to stretch my limbs in the fresh air. Corinne's garden is wild and so is the beach. The waves crash close onshore and smooth stones flat. We eat al fresco vegetarian among Geoff's established and well cared natives and fragrant exotics. Fresh sea air, spring breezes and views on vaccination. Corinne distrusts the medical profession and is not going to be jabbed, the rest of us will.

School is in the back of my mind for the last few days of the hols until I step through the door on Monday morning. It's always a mind stretch but by mid morning I remember why I like this job. Relationships.  It's back to term routines, yoga, early morning meetings, cycling to and from work, and laundry on top. I'm thankful my scabies is nearly gone and hopeful that Kahu's nearly is. We stumble on with Covid rumbling on in the background up north.






































 








































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...