Tuesday 14 September 2021

What Day Is It?

We move out of Level 4 on Tuesday 31st August, midnight. That's the official time, unofficially we're out in our heads cos we've got no Covid. Kahu gles off to see his mate Sam. Their age group find staying at home difficult. I'm sick of groundhog day myself. I want to move around, see people and pass days outside of the fence line. But I bend not break the rules: Kahu's driving lessons, buying and selling on Marketplace. Small transgressions in my view. One of many. 

I get through another week of online teaching, mucking up my Year 13 zoom meeting again. These students are at the bottom academically but they're the most gracious human beings. They don't complain and they don't blame. One patiently e-mails to tell me I've got it wrong again. Aroha mai, excuse me, sorry. Very few of my students do any work. I pay it lip service myself as I've done my bit and I'm losing inspiration myself. No-one will die from leaving school work till tomorrow. 

On Friday I take Pete some baking and catch up. He's slowly winding back up and has all the time in the world. I drop in on Leah mowing her lawn from the bean bag. The mower zooms placidly around her back yard nosing its way around the edges. Leah gives me some carpet to protect my floor from the wheel chair. 

I post an old school pic on the Old Te Anau facebook page. I've named everybody and from a perspective of 52 years that's kept names with faces. They're people I haven't seen in a lifetime but many respond to the post. We're all out there somewhere. 

I spend Saturday doing Saturday jobs then Sharyn and I taxi to Lis's. I half expect Alex, Sharyn's taxi driver to tell us he can't take us, ie we're not allowed. It's good to sit in someone else's house, introduces a feeling of normality. My social life is important to me. 





















































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...