Thursday 5 August 2021

Behind the Eight Ball

I call in to pay at Interior Effects to pay my last bill, door handles. They hadn't asked for payment but I knew I had at least three handles I hadn't paid for. $700 later. I visit Neil to say hi, he's pottering away in his workshop and we exchange notes. Then I head in to get myself ready for the new term. I don't know how I managed to come back at the last minute after hols and get by. But then, I wasn't full time. 

I manage to catch up on a pile up of small jobs, curtains being one. I send some pictures to Shanna to show her the flaws Annie, Sharyn's carer, has pointed out. The pleats, hem and seams. Most of the making actually. Teresa drops by to prune and take away foliage she can sell. I hadn't noticed how much the magnolia at the back had grown. And she slices a couple of sprouting bits on the cabbage tree. 

On Saturday I find topsoil give aways on Marketplace. I swing into action, borrow the school trailer and head to Lincoln. They have a small digger and I'm loaded up in ten minutes. At home the wheelbarrow is my useful tool, a spade and muscle power. Doesn't take long. 

I take it easy at a party and drive out to Lincoln on Sunday. The digger is gone so I get help to shovel the dirt in. At home, Kahu is reluctant as usual, spits the dummy and then apologises. Late night, empty stomach, hormones....they're a tricky combo. I feel like I've accomplished something at the end. The drops off the back path are shallower. But I need more....next weekend maybe.

Monday dawns and a long week stretches ahead. First week back seems impossible but by Thursday I know I'm going to make it. Head down, bum up.








                                                                     B7- my classroom


                                                                     Pleat problems


                                                                         Hairy hems














                                                                      Cabbage tree chaos





























No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...