Sunday 14 March 2021

Kahu Turns 19

Nearly out of teens, but not quite. Kahu's birthday is a get together celebration of the important people in his life, minus Alex and whanau. Three little girls is a stretch on a Tuesday night. But James and Cat come with 4 bottles of wine, Cat's job is selling wine and she gets rewards they don't drink. Then there's Kahu's godparents, Mert and Sue, Judith, honourary aunt, Great Auntie Ruth, Jordan, and others. But I'm so busy I don't get photos. Five hours solid....from food prep to final dishes. Done and dusted. What it is to be a mum.

Back the truck up....Friday is sports day and I shadow 11 Chl on a stool to rest my ankle. There's lots of kids away but the vibe is upbeat and we have fun. Though I start the day with a long complaint from a parent. Hmmm. The thing I hate about teaching. Parents who make it personal. I don't get paid enough. Saturday's mini Convergence gathering is at another place I've never been to before, Takamatua Bay, David's family's holiday house in a quiet bay round the corner from Akaroa. Like all long established bachs owned by well of families, the site is well chosen, the house is quaint and the whole effect, gorgeous. My late afternoon swim is a skinny dip. A calm, sequestered spot and warmish water. Volker causes a stir with Armana but, despite the drama, I sleep well on the front lawn. I've always been an outdoor kid. 

The week slides by. Sharyn moves in on Wednesday. Our first flatmate. I remind her and myself it will take time to integrate her and the wheelchair. We all start the adjustment. I bathe myself in ozone.





































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...