Thursday 27 August 2020

Snow On The Alps

Fresh morning air: the Alps have an overnight dusting of snow. I get through morning classes and with a free afternoon, leave behind the numberless trivial jobs for freedom in the great outdoors. My mission is to get a second dehumidifier. I'm trying to dry out the house before I bring the flooring wood in. Tracey, a former English department mate, has volunteered one so I drop by to have a cuppa and see her newish baby. He's suspicious but warms up after giving me the once over. En route to College Ave I pick up boxes from Jo, slow and steady back from Leithfield. My afternoon highlight is the dentist. I had all my amalgam fillings taken out 18 months ago as my mouth, gums and tongue were tingling in a not good way. It took two one and a half hour sessions, and a concerted effort by Susan, the dentist, to replace them with composite. The difference...silver, tin, copper and mercury.... switched to plastic and ceramic. My mouth settled down and the old dark gaps whitened so when I opened my mouth my teeth looked like teeth. A win win till one cracked. Susan fixes it, X-rays and cleans and I'm feeling great till I pay. $500. No wonder people avoid dental visits.

The tilers, Ian and one of his daughters, are on site. We find the bathroom tiles and lay them out. Another whoops as the white of the wall tile is noticeably duller than the shiny white of the capping tile I've splashed out for. Omg. I'm going to have to change one or the other. Ian suggests Mitre 10 which has a range of capping tiles. I find a very helpful young guy and we go through all the options. We even take one outside to look at in natural light. Not bevelled, but the white is a shade closer. At home we take another look. I'm not convinced. I talk it through with Nicky. Best option: ditch white. 














































No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...