Tuesday 19 May 2020

Day 54- Shake Down

I'm up at 6:15 after one of the most restless sleeps ever. A lot of pages turned last night; I've made progress with my book.  I'm not feeling as much stress about school. It will take care of itself. As will senior leadership. I've got to steer the build. It's altogether my baby.
So it is, at 9am I'm driving to the house. Kids at school are tucked up with their form teachers wading through miles of paper. And the reassuring talks. I'm sure they're fine. I've got pre-gibbing to sort. I meet Rene to go over the wiring, again. We relocate wiring for the downlights in the bay window, covered by insulation, then remeasure the island and work out new positions for lighting. Lance, the ducting guy arrives with a mate. We work out the details. Then Terra Lana layers front up. The guy I talk to is Phillipino and smiley. I show him gaps and droops and he nods reassuringly. When he smiles a tooth drops onto the ground. I find it for him. We agree to meet tomorrow.
I have to get back to my day job. My first class are my nice Year 10's -about a third of them are away.
There's hand sanitiser are every door and the atmosphere is slightly strange but we're glad to be back. It feels nearly normal. My Year 13's after lunch are smiling coming in. Feels like we've bonded. That's the bit of teaching I like. The projector doesn't work for my Year 11 class so I improvise and it works better. Group work. Nothing too tricky last period.
Lance drops Kahu off and I meet him for his school interview. There's the good cop and the bad cop. The questions are direct about his Christchurch Boys', and what he wants from this school. Kahu is refreshingly naive and honest with his answers. We go to Careers and my mate, Kerren, conducts his careers interview. It takes a while but the result is robust and worthwhile. Kahu has the opportunity to get his credits and learn new skills. Ideal.
I've got a headache at the end of it all but feel like today I've accomplished a lot.
Covid total, 1, a toddler linked to another cluster.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...