Thursday 30 April 2020

Day 35- The Leadlight Reveal



I'm super excited. Today the lead lights I've sweated blood over, go in. Today also I go back to Papanui High School. I've volunteered to look after kids- the criteria are only up to Year 10, and only those who need to attend. In this crisis we're finding out how many roles teachers fulfil. Child minding is one. I'd always thought of us as secondary parents so babysitters works for me. The Covid processes at school are similar to the building site, but we only sign in once a day. That's because we stay in one bubble, mine is J bubble in J block, till we leave.
Not me. I duck out to be around when the windows arrive. Kay brings them on the outside of the van. They're very heavy- 3 layers of glass. And beautiful. I'm stoked. I return to school and observe that the students we're sitting have come back for social reasons. And there are only 6, with 3 staff. So there's flexibility going to different spaces to work and google chat with classes. I need reliable internet and it's easier to work at work. 1% attendance nationwide.
Back on site in the afternoon I look through the leadlight window in the ensuite and notice what look like scratches. My bubble bursts. I check the other windows and see scratches in the big bathroom window. And the one in the walk in wardrobe. Yikes. I try to ring Kay but don't get through.
Next stop Nicki to sort out kitchen and laundry details. We're nearly there. Home after 6, I'm knackered. I haven't had a day as long as this for ages. Red wines down the hatch.
Covid total for April 29th, 2 cases- 1 confirmed, 1 probable. We get praise from the WHO who say we are "world-leading." By and large we've observed the rules. The PM calls us a team of 5 million. In the news, renters are facing tough times with lower incomes and not enough government support to cover the difference. Food banks are overwhelmed.

























Windows from the old house- for the skylight






Morning tea




Jamie battles with the doors









Painting Britten Street











No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...