Sunday 1 March 2020

Roof Shout

Bring out the beers. The roof is on. I get my teaching done then begin my second job. I visit Pete to sort out the vanity but he's off on an errand. At the house Kirk has quite a few questions. The weekend is looming so I've got time to sort gib cove, talk about window finishings, etc. Some of it goes over my head but I can research. Nicki is my go to Google. The window installer is busy filling the openings and putting in doors. I order fish and chips, buy beers and we all collect at the front of the house. It's good to stop. We chew the fat and tell a few celebration stories. I bring out the throwing up at Burnside tale. It was the Fri after a Thursday drinks where I'd had too much cider. I just made it to school and the toilets then bumped into the principal straight after. He commented how pale I looked. Lucky I only had to teach one class. That was the late 1990's. Demo Kevin and his wife arrive. He's stoked with progress, picks up a beer and takes a look at the deck over the fence.
We wind up as Cecile arrives. It's her first time on site. We drop stuff and head to the beach. It's been windy out there lately and the water has cooled a few degrees. Now it's refreshing. Back to normal cold. When we get back Cecile sets up a picnic. It's peaceful in the back yard. We both knock the picnic table over and spill wine. It doesn't take long to set up our beds. I sleep in my room. With the windows open, the air flows through. Feels like home. I settle in swatting at biting insects. When I get up to the loo in the night it feels like a long walk. Definitely a bigger house.
































No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...