Tuesday 21 January 2020

The Home Front

I sit down in the morning to look at the big picture. What is coming up next? Who do I need to call? What questions do I need to ask? Building a house is like a giant jig saw puzzle. When I get to overload I head across the road with some cherries and apricots for Chris's mum and dad. They are very excited to get them and Chris's mum tells me when she eats an apricot that it reminds her of her childhood because the family had an apricot tree.
I meet Kirk at the house and we talk about the verandah posts. The wrong size were delivered, phew, and the builders can put detailing on them as part of the finishing. NK Windows arrive to check the measurements for the doors and windows. And a few other details, like surrounds. Before I leave I check out Dan and Shelley's new house over the road. I've got a way to go. Meanwhile I do some verandah post research, thinking I'll get some custom made so they've got traditional detailing. At Hardie Thomson I get a wake up call. Due to the thickness the posts will have to be glued and I need to come up with a specific design. I drive around Merivale to take some pics. Hmmm. I also see why Kirk says my corbels need sanding. At the beach, while I'm swimming, I decide the most practical solution for the posts is Plan A. Kirk sorts it.
I drop off fruit to Robyn who's cooked dinner for me. She taught at Dunstan High in Alex years ago so has done lots of stone fruit eating. Central gets in your blood one way or another.



NK Windows checking opening measurements














No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...