Friday 24 January 2020

Epic Tile Search

I'm planning to tile the entry, laundry, bathroom and ensuite. Then there's the tiles for the kitchen splash back and optional wall tiles in the laundry and bathrooms. It's mind boggling. There's so much choice- porcelain, neolith, marble and other stones, ceramic...and manufactured all over the world in different styles. Polished, honed, leather, hand painted, traditional, tesselated, small format, and larger sheets. It's hot in the car as my air con doesn't work and I get lost trying to find some places, even with Google Maps. I end up on Mandeville Street where there are a few shops together. I browse in one I haven't been to and am leaving when I spot a display with exactly what I've had in mind for the entry. Yesterday I found some highly polished, highly gorgeous, highly priced Italian tiles but Nicki brought me back with, "They're not going to work with a wood floor. You need matte." Reality check. These are Winckelman and will be eye-wateringly expensive to buy and install but, as a permanent feature, worth it. I've heard the post build catch cry, we were going to get...but didn't because of the cost, many times. I'm willing to suck this up and not eat for two months.
Maybe we have too many choices, a simpler life would be less stressful. It takes time to sift through so much information; it's foreign territory. Having chosen to build, however, I now have to immerse myself in this world of aesthetics or lose the opportunity to create a home I'm going to love. With my Taurus ascendant which grounds me in house and garden. It's somewhat predetermined.
By the time I get to Thursday drinks in the Kaiser bar, I'm exhausted. The bar decor features a tile fetish with a tiled look lino in the bar, and bright blue tiles in the loo. Sorry guys, you missed the Winckleman opportunity. Go visit the Tannery.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...