Wednesday 18 December 2019

The Enlivenment

Rain falls gently. I arrive at 22 College Ave to find the meter man sitting in his truck. He is the final link in the five step electricity connection saga. He places an umbrella over the electric box and says  no to a blog photo as he's not wearing his safety glasses and doesn't want any repercussions. Rene does a final check. I do some weeding- I'm definitely behind and the back garden resembles a wilderness. Nicki, Kirk and I have a meeting to iron out progress so far. Building jargon goes over my head and I'm so glad to have Nicki there to ask and interpret. She's been so involved with the design and understands the picture in my head. I'm wet and shivering by the time we finish so decide to have a swim before the forecast southerly blows in. The water temperature is warmer than the air but I'm shivering when I get out. On the way home I stop at the Pink Elephant to say hi to a new friend. I spot a unique piece of early 1900's kauri furniture. Instant purchase.
I've volunteered to help in the PTA uniform shop at Boys' High. This brick outhouse used to be the piggery for the Deans homestead. Planning the restoration was a labour of love and caused some debate. Cost versus quality was the sticking point but the investment has been worth it. The shop is a lovely blend of old and new and truly fit for purpose. I sharpen up my knowledge of uniform and sizes as I help boys and mothers find the right kit. 
On the way home I check out ovens. Ilve, 600 mm, sorted. After dark a hopeful hedgehog hops up the stairs from the garage. Sherry and I wait for Chris to come home to move it. 

The Enlivener


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...