Sunday 1 December 2019

Te Ahi kā

The day starts slowly. The three of us had a few cocktails up the hill with friends last night. Chris assumes the recline position on the couch. Eventually I go on a house errand- to get my round window stored at a friend's. She's moving. I store it carefully in Chris's garage then head off to the English department Xmas dinner. I visit the section on the way to pick flowers and feed Pierre. I'm dismayed to see another cat push the rocks off his bowl and tuck into his food. Makes me worry whether the empty bowl means Pierre is getting fed or an interloper. I haven't seen him for ten days so I duck back after dark. Sure enough he comes out. He's very welcoming and lets me hold him for more than ten seconds. I'm relieved and reassured. He's managing the rebuild and keeping the home fires burning- te ahi kā. In te ao Māori, te ahi kā refers to the burning fires of occupation, continuous occupation, title to land through occupation over a period of time. Pierre maintains a presence and is the guardian for 22 College Ave.



Mother duck safely over the road



English department whanau





No comments:

Post a Comment

Kupu, Word Festival, and Pōhatu, Stones

It's Polly's 30th birthday and the department gets on board. Photoshopped pics of Beyonce with Polly's face covering the walls. ...